Columns and channels are different things as column is the functional name of the component, while channels are sections that can be used as a column.
Metal in the form of a channel is used in various fields: from engineering to construction and architecture. The attractiveness of the channels lies in the combination of structural properties and reliability, due to the shape of the profile. Due to this peculiarity, metal-roll can withstand substantial vertical and horizontal loads, redistributing them along its entire length and ensuring durability of the structure. The channel has a U-shaped section. This allows using elements in different designs; the channel has become common in mechanical engineering and industrial construction. Here are sources offering a wide selection of channels: https://metinvestholding.com/en/products/long-products/channels
The channel, due to its design, can withstand smaller loads directed parallel to its walls, it can be of different types of production as cold rolled and hot rolled. The channel is widely used in constructions with numerous joints; its cross-section allows ensuring the adjoining of surfaces by another structural element. In the frame house-building, the channel is not spread, it carries extremely small loads, due to the fact that it is fastened pointwise, with the help of nails that are not capable of bearing a large load on the cut.
The main structural parts of the mold are clips, columns and bushings, plates, ejector pins and fasteners. Guiding parts are used to guide the movement of individual parts of the mold when it is closed and opened. In addition to their primary purpose, they serve as a link between the base plate and the base which allows you to do without the installation pins during assembly. Сolumns and sleeves ensure the correct closing of the mold. Сolumns provide the exact direction of the upper part of the mold relative to the bottom, while simultaneously orienting them in a certain position. The constructive implementation of columns and sleeves is subject to certain requirements. The main ones are:
- The columns and bushings are installed in stationary molds, with the columns at the top and the bushings at the bottom which makes it easy to load the mold with press material, install valves, remove the pressed product, and clean the die from the flash after pressing.
- The length of the cylindrical part of the column must be made 8–10 mm more than the height of the punch which prevents the working part from clogging from the edge of the loading chamber.
- The holes for the columns must be through or have an outlet to remove material waste.
- The thickened part of the columns installed in the holder must have a diameter equal to the outer diameter of the guide sleeve. This makes it possible to simultaneously calculate the holes for the columns and bushes, which ensures their alignment.
- The conical receiving part of the columns and the rounded edge of the holes in the sleeve ensure a smooth entrance of the columns into the sleeves.
In some cases, due to the specific design of the mold, columns can be used as fasteners. For this, the working core of the column has a thickening on which the thread is cut. After installing the column in place, the entire package of top plates is fastened with a nut. The base plate under the guide sleeve has an inclined groove that serves to remove waste material entering the holes of the sleeves.